Saturday, November 08, 2008

Help with Names

I haven't cleared this with the boss, but I thought it would be fun anyway.

As mentioned before, we haven't picked out baby names yet. Complicating the issue is our lack of knowledge on the gender. I first thought we could be efficient and choose a name that could go either way (Pat, Alex, Blair, etc.). But then I had an encounter with the cashier at our new local Bojangles the other day. It was a true Pat moment(the cashier's name was Lindsey...which I have heard for both girls and boys) and I'm still not sure if the cashier was male or female. What if this new one we have had the unfortunate unisex name, and also decided to dress and style their hair in a way that would make them indistinguishable to the common stranger?

So, we need two names. One boy, one girl. Want to help? Leave comments below and we will consider them. Just know upfront that we might not pick your suggestion, and even if we did there is no prize...other than a big "thank you" and maybe some appropriate hugging and kissing.

A few rough guidelines that we have made in the past and are trying to use again:

1 - We like unique-ish names. We both have unique names and for the most part have enjoyed that part of us.

2 - We aren't big fans of long names. Analise's name was pushing it because it is three syllables.

3 - We also would like to avoid a "k" sounding name. We already often confuse Cade & Kelson's names, and adding another "k" sound would really make it rough.

4 - As previous mentioned, we aren't big fans of unisex names (although I guess some might argue that the mispronunciation of Cade's name could cause it to sound like a female name...we didn't consider the name itself as unisex).

5 - For the boy's name, please avoid any names that start with the letter "S". We have picked out the middle name, which already starts with the letter "S", and his initials would become an unfortunate backward spelling of a part of the human anatomy.

7 comments:

dede said...

Girl: Dede
Boy: Ed
I think it only fitting that you name your child after us!
Second choice:
Girl: Michelle
Boy: Barack
Fitting to name the child after the new pres and first lady. Especially since you are so happy about it.

The Johnsons said...

Hey Shena,
This is Launi Neibaur Johnson. I came across your sister Alyssa's blog through another friend and found you. Congrats on your almost here addition. That is crazy that you are going to have four kids. I have 2 and they take a lot of my time. Anyways I just wanted to say hi. My email is launinj@gmail.com I don't have a blog right now. Take care Sorry I can't help you with names it took us forever to come up with the 2 we have. And my daughter has a boy name but I have heard it as a girl name too.
Launi

Lauren said...

Names are so hard, but here are a few:

Girl: Jillian (I have only heard this name a couple of times and think it is pretty).
or Ashlyn

Boy: Harrison (I've only met one little boy with this name and, of course, Harrison Ford but that is it).

Good luck. We always have a terrible time picking names. Too much pressure.

Unknown said...

going with family names:

josefina (josie for short) for a girl and elijio (eli for short).

tara said...

Well, of course Paige for a girl. It's pretty well known but not often used. and for a boy, Rigdon.

Cyndie said...

I agree that family names are nice. How about Cheeta and Sheno?

Second choices:

Rose

Theodore

Leesa Ann Bogart-Lundrigan said...

Boys: Broden, **Roman

Girls: **Avery, Jolie

That is all I can muster up know that we all know I lack the juices to come up with anymore names....at least you guys picked my name backwards last time....Leesa Ann.