Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The first few days... from Shena's point of view

I couldn't resist posting these. My mom likes to see the little ones with their eyes open. She was just watching the chaos last night when I too these.
I can't believe how little our sweet Addelyn is. Cheeto has the "football" hold down perfect and of course, she loves it. Cheeto doesn't have real large hands so this shows you how tiny she is. Analise came home only wearing this outfit once or twice. We had some great friends lend and give us preemie clothes for the first few months. They will fit much better for sure!

We are adjusting. Last night was everything you can expect the first nights to be like. Not all babies can be like my Analise. She slept 5-6 hours straight from the day she was born but she was 9 lbs too. Addelyn wakes up 2 hours on the clock all night. It's exhausting but knowing she is our last one it's not as frustrating to get up so often. I have to relish in the moments I have with her in at such a young age. Analise and Addelyn share a room. Analise heard Addie crying and met me in the hall way in tears. She was so concerned for her little sister. I assured her she was fine and just hungry. Analise was more than willing to help mommy at 2 o'clock in the morning. She was a great help at 4am when Addie blew out a diaper and needed a complete outfit change and feeding.
As for me... I'm just trying to get through the first few days of nursing. As most of you mommies know... the first week of nursing is painful and frustrating. Addie is a great eater so at least that's not adding to the frustration. The older kids are of course too interested about the nursing process. I have had some crazy questions to answer about breast feeding- especially from the boys. I have had my emotional moments; more this time than with the other 3. I'm sure Cheeto thinks I'm losing it. I assure you I am not. There are times it hits me that this is truly our last. And others it's just because I can't believe it's over and have another little girl. I feel so blessed! I look at our family now and know we are done but know there are a lot of last "firsts" ahead. This honestly saddens me. I'm sure these are tears that will come and go a lot over the first few years. I wouldn't change my decision about getting the tubal. I have miserable pregnancies and know physically I don't want to go through another one. I have always said I wanted 4 before I turned 30 and we did that. I wouldn't want an odd number either- I like being even and I know I can't do 6 kids. Our family is complete but that doesn't mean it doesn't make me sad at times. We have truly started the next phase in our family.
The kids are adjusting well to the chaos. Cheeto is doing a great job keeping the house together. He gets frustrated with kids faster than mom does but he's doing great considering there are four kids, 2 of which are in school and have to have be up at 6am, have lunches made, homework done, baths each night, and in bed by 7:30pm and a wife that sits on the couch all day. It's a lot to throw at him. Mom, dad, and Tia Lettie have been great. They took the kids to Mexico Monday night for dinner. We all appreciated that one! I'm glad I froze a few meals and cookies the past month. We have needed them.
My mom and sister found some really cheap airfare so they are coming to help in a few weeks. I'm so excited to see them. It will allow Cheeto to get some real work and studying done for a week. Nola is probably going through Sassy-withdrawal. She has watched her some much in the past month- at least a couple of hours each day. We have appreciated all the help, calls, gifts, and visits. We are blessed with awesome friends and family.
Kelson genuinely loves his new little sister! He is the only one that will hold her for more than 2 seconds. Cade and Analise ask and give her back almost immediately. Kelson would sit and hold her all evening if you'd let him. She does have some protective older siblings! Kelson's teacher told us that he has been bouncing off walls since she was born and always has more stories to tell them about Addelyn. Kelson has a tender heart. This morning he was getting his lunch ready and Cheeto reminded him to get a snack. Kelson said he was going to take 2 fruit snacks. Cheeto told him no- one was enough. Kelson instantly broke out in tears saying, " I need two!" Cheeto asked why. He said, "Because there was a child that never had a snack and he really needed to share." How can you say no to that? What a little sweet heart!

7 comments:

Leticia said...

How come I have to work and miss all this! I want to stay home with you guys!

audra said...

WOW! She is SO pretty.

Cyndie said...

There's nothing like those first days at home!

Its All Good Ya'll said...

It is good to hear things from your perspective. Cheeto has been very dedicated to your blog but I have been wondering how you are feeling.

Your little Kelson has a heart of gold!

Take care!

Tia J said...

All this baby has made it so hard living in ID. I miss ou guys like crazy! She is a doll. I have been wanting to call but didn't want to bother I will call tomorrow. If you don't answer call when you get a chance. I need your address as well. Talk to you soon! Love you all.

Linda said...

You guys are just marvelous to take the time to write and post photos!! Knew you would. Mom gave me the news a couple of days ago and I want to give you the most biggest CONGRATS!!

Gordon, Jamie, Evelyn, Claire and Bonnie said...

Last time I saw you - you were great with child and now I check your blog and there's a baby! And a beautiful baby she is!!!! CONGRATS! I love her name too! She is gorgeous! Are you taking her to TWILIGHT tonight??? I am debating on taking Claire...hmmmm.