Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Construction delays ahead?

***Text in this color authored by Shena***

Work & Play
Was surprised to see that Vachon didn't do any work on the addition today. It was the last dry day for quite a while (forecasting rain until Sunday, then more going into next week). I really thought that they would have tried to get the footings in before the rain started. I decided, though, that I'm not going to start bugging him, yet. I would hate for somebody to try to tell me to do my job, when they don't know what they are doing...and I really have no idea how he should do his. I don't know how many other jobs he has going right now. All I know is what our contract says and that is he has 8 weeks to finish the project and we are only in week 2. I'll start getting anxious if we are at the same point in 4 weeks from now. The other thing about it is we haven't paid anymore than the original 25% we paid when we signed the contract (which says he will give us an invoice on Tuesdays of each week that he is working), so it's not like he is ^ asking for money and not doing anything. We did see him about 5:30 today as we were walking out the door to go to mom's. He stopped to pick up the bobcat which he said he needed for another job. Bad thing was the bobcat was behind the equipment trailer that brought in the other day. So they had to pull the equipment trailer out first, then pull out the bobcat and it's trailer after that. I saw them pull the equipment trailer out, no problem...they tore up a small piece of grass doing that, but I expected that. When we got back from mom's, it looked like the whole side of the house had been turned into mud. That side of the house is on the North side, so it doesn't get as much sun and stays wet longer. I guess the grass was too wet and the bobcat slid around trying to get the trailer out. Sure did make a mess.

Had dinner with mom and Marcos and Stu Miller, Marcos' friend from HS. Stayed and talked for a bit, but not real long. Sunday I noticed an ad for a chainsaw at Sears that was cheaper than the one I bought at Lowe's. Because Shena and I like the Extreme Makeover Home Edition show so much (especially because they aren't just giving houses out to anybody, they seem to try to find people who need it), we always talk about shopping at Sears more in order to show our support of their sponsoring the show. We want to encourage that kind of sponsorship of worthwhile causes...not sponsorship of rich people award shows (like the Academy Awards). Anyway, even though we say that, I still never seem to think of Sears when I need something. Doesn't matter what it is, Sears usually doesn't enter my mind. So I decided to take back the chainsaw to Lowe's (which I hadn't used yet), and go and buy a chainsaw at Sears. I wound up paying the same amount for essentially the same saw, but at least I felt better about who was getting my money (not that I felt BAD about Lowe's getting my money, just not as good). Marcos and Stu wound up going with me to Sears, Shena stayed home to get the boys ready for bed.

The Amazing Race 7 started a few weeks ago, and we have already got some favorites, and some not so favorites. "Boston Rob" and Amber from Survivor are on the show, which is great for the ratings, but it makes me mad that they would put somebody like that on tv. Dude is an absolute snake. I know I'm not the only one who dislikes him, but I also know that there are a lot of people out there who think that the way he does things is ok. And the "moral" of the lesson that people learn on the show is that if you lie and deceive, you will be rewarded. There have always been people like that on the show (several have made up stories when they are trying to get on a plane), but none has been as consistent or blatant about it as Rob and Amber. I look forward to the day they get eliminated, and if they wind up winning, I won't watch the show again. Marcos makes fun of my "principles" sometimes (he ragged on me about taking a chainsaw back to Lowe's and spending just as much or more at Sears on principle), but if I don't stick to them, then what kind of a person am I?

Llano Update (Cheeto's Brood)
Shena and the boys went to the mall with Leesa. Shena wanted to get out of the house, and Leesa was nice enough to go out with her. Sounds like they had a pretty good time, other than stopping in at Motherhood (a maternity store). That was kind of rough on her. They bought "The Incredibles" on DVD, which I need to see. Cade loves the show and we watched about 20 minutes of it on my lunch break, but I still haven't seen the whole thing. One of these nights when I'm not so busy...maybe tomorrow?

Shena had an ok day today. Towards the end of the day I asked about going to play basketball at the church (which we couldn't do because of "play practice"), because I wanted to make sure that she would be ok with me going. She said I could and when I said "are you sure?" she said that she needed to get back to just living normally and so it was fine. I think she knows that the only way for her to start feeling better is to continue on with her days. She made me an apple pie today to say "Thanks," which she really didn't have to do. I think she thinks that she is putting me out or that I am getting mad at her for the extra load that I've been carrying with her being down, but that is what a spouse is supposed to do, right? Isn't that what it's all about? It's not like I have been carrying my fair share 100% of the time since we've been married. There have been days that I've been sick or gone and she's had to do it on her own. It was a nice thought though, and I do love me a homemade apple pie! (see my daily report)

Arellano Update
So I've been trying to bait Adam into talking some trash about my blog, since I've been trashing his. No luck. He is to good of a guy. The worst he has done so far is talk about my momma in the comment section of the blog.

Not sure what Marcos did most of the day. He said he was supposed to be catching up on his school work this week, which is why he came home for Spring Break and not go somewhere else where he might be distracted. Don't know if that is working out for him or not.

Christensen Update
None to report that I know of.

Daily Report
LAST NIGHT:
Sleep: 11:12 - 6:05 - Kelson is the best alarm clock I could ever hope for...whether I want one or not...kid is up every morning no matter how late he went to bed.

TODAY:
Breakfast: None

Lunch: tuna on wheat with cheese and lettuce, ruffles originals, kool-aid. Cade brought me three chocolate chip cookies from the cookie store in the mail for dessert. Nice of him to think of me. Cute kid.

Dinner: carne asada (grilled, thin steak), beans, rice, corn tortillas...I made tacos out of mine, with cheese and a sprite to drink. After I got back from Sears, I had two pieces of pie, warmed u in the microwave and a glass of milk.

0 comments: