Monday, February 28, 2005

Typical Guilford County Snow Panic

***Text in this color authored by Shena***

Work & Play
So it sleets about a quarter inch last night. There were reports of snowflakes falling about 3:00 am. If you have ever lived in NC you know what that means. Death! Destruction! Chaos in the streets! We can't have the school buses out there! They might spontaneously combust in incredible cold as they slide out of control, end over end into a river! By 9:00 the roads were just wet. I wish the weather would make up its mind down here...either be spring, or be winter...quit bouncing back and forth.

Jim was back from Florida for the day. It was pretty busy around the office as we tried to get everything together from the last month, synchronize our watches, etc. He is headed to Las Vegas tomorrow (maybe he'll run into mom?) for the next week. I wound up working until 6:30 trying to get everything in order before he left again. Heather is about ready to be on her own about 90% of the time, which will allow me to make a little money. Heaven knows we need it. I forget how expensive having kids is.

After work, Cherie and I went and got dinner for everybody. She and Bart wanted to try some "Southern BBQ," so they ordered "BBQ for 2" from Stamey's. Shena and I aren't big fans of Stamey's (sorry Marcos...but that leaves more for you...and you can get some in a couple of weeks), so we had Taco Bell with the boys. After dinner, I installed my new battery that I bought for my "new" Ipaq on e-bay. Seems to be working fine. That is a relief because I was afraid that I had shorted the board out or something when I tried to change the battery earlier. That would have sucked...ruining a perfectly good, just given to me Ipaq. Bart has a Garmin iQue 3500 (or something like that). It's basically a GPS unit and a PDA combined. The problem is they run on the Palm OS, and I've never used one, and I get uncomfortable outside my perverted, messed up little Windows world. But there is good news. For only $754, I can get the NEW IQue M5, that runs on the Windows OS. Thing looks pretty cool. I know Bart's GPS worked dang good. It is definitely a "want" toy, but when this new Ipaq goes out on me, I may look into one. It would be nice to have the GPS with me, especially if my job is going to require as much travel in the next couple of years as I suspect. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Llano Update (Cheeto's Brood)
Cade had been stuck in the house all day today, and when Cherie and I were headed out to get the food, he started saying "Puuuhhhleeeeeeeeeeezzze, dad. I want to go. But, I said please!" The kid had worn shorts and a t-shirt all day (high of 34 on the day, it was about 28 at the time). But I felt bad because he was asking so nice and Shena said that he had been a good kid all day. I got his "Steelers" blanket and wrapped him up like a burrito. We stuck him in the car like that, and he didn't move the whole time, just sat in his car seat, arms wrapped up in the blanket. At Stamey's, Cherie got out to go and get the food and he talked to me for a few minutes, said that he had played Blue's Clues memory game and the Dora game with Grandma, but otherwise he didn't say a word the entire trip. He actually fell asleep the last few minutes on our way home.

Shena said that when we left the house to go and get the food, he grabbed HIS Steelers blanket, wrapped himself up in it and then ran to the door yelling at us to try to go too. Poor kid doesn't get to go as many places as Cade. His car seat is so much harder to move back and forth between cars as compared to Cade's. I don't think he minds too much, though.

Shena didn't feel very well today. She said that the last couple of days that during the afternoon she has felt really badly. She winds up getting nauseas, taking her pill that is supposed to stop it, but also makes her drowsy, and then she has a hard time getting anything done in the afternoon. That means I will be taking Bart & Cherie to the airport in Raleigh tomorrow, which is fine. Since Jim will be out of town himself, it won't affect work much. If it had been today, it might be a different story, but I can handle it tomorrow.

Arellano Update
None to report on...other than Adam's not doing a very good job of keeping up with his blog. It's been up for four days and only has about 2 1/6 entries. You need to get on that, brother.

Christensen Update
Since Shena didn't feel very well, Bart & Cherie mostly spent the day hanging out at the house. Maybe it is their idea of vacation, I don't know. I guess it is kind of nice to have "nothing" to do sometimes.

Daily Report
LAST NIGHT:
Sleep: 12:00 - 6:30 - when Kelson came in, I wondered what the roads were like and if we really got the 3-4 inches they were calling for on the Weather Channel...then watched Sports Center until 7:00. At least I was up on time, right?

TODAY:
Breakfast: None - I wanted some, but ran out of time

Lunch: I had left over italian dressing/cream cheese chicken (need to come up with a name for this dish...or find out what it is, anyway) and white rice, with a couple of pieces of bread, water - had two CC cookies from last night with milk too...they were just as good today as they were yesterday.

Dinner: Taco Bell - steak gordita supreme, no tomatoes - bean burrito, no onions - two hush puppies (from Bart's dinner), A&W. Also had some strawberry cobbler from Stamey's. I had heard their cobbler was good, and I was pretty impressed. Very tasty. I will have to try their other flavors, now.

0 comments: