Sunday, February 13, 2005

Natural Man

***Text in this color authored by Shena***

Work & Play
Had a good day at church. Jeff Needham taught the lesson in priesthood today. Talked about Mosiah 3:19 and "the natural man." **SOAP BOX** Whenever I hear "born that way" it is always the first scripture I think of. And I'm not just talking about sexual preference, either (i.e., "natural born killer"). He argued that nobody is "born that way," but we learn it as we grow. I think it is a moot point, however. Whether someone's brain chemistry is pre-set or programed during his/her lifetime doesn't change the fact that we all have to overcome those types of thoughts and feelings. In nature, a species continues to exist by pro-creating as much as possible. As humans, we have that same type of instict programmed in our brain. It is our societal and moral standards that keep us from pro-creating with anyone we can. If I wanted to embrace the natural man, I would be finding willing females to pro-create with. That is how I was "born." But I CHOOSE not to allow that part of my natural man to come out. I control it, for several reasons, but the most important being I have been told by Heavenly Father that it is not the right thing to do. The SPIRITUAL MAN wins out. That is an easy one for me. It might be harder for others, but it still does not make it right. Being "born that way" is not a valid excuse for anyone who wants to live in His presence again. I believe it was Craig Hiatt who mentioned that the "natural way" is the easy way out. You don't have to make decisions on your own, you only have to do what comes natural to you. Living the Gospel isn't easy. You have to work at it. It wasn't easy for Christ to go through what he went through. It wasn't easy for Joseph Smith or Brigham Young or the Pioneers, or anybody who else who truly lives it. It's hard. It's a battle. If you find your life getting "easy" you might want to step back and take a look, you might not be headed down the right path. It's kind of like lifting weights (I know, who am I to talk about lifting weights, right?)...if you don't feel any resistance, you aren't getting any stronger. **END SOAP BOX**

See, and all of you probably thought that I never paid attention in church, huh? Well, I do, most of the time.

Llano Update (Cheeto's Brood)
Nothing exciting, but the boys were both good and didn't fight us too bad to go to church or to go to class. Kelson likes nursery, I think. He cries for a minute or two, but it usually doesn't take long for him to calm down. I also think it might have been a little harder on him because it's been two weeks since we've been (sick, ice storm).

Just spent time with the family this afternoon. Played cars, football and basketball with the boys. Watched Extreme Makeover Home Edition with Shena (until she fell asleep, that is).

Arellano Update
Mom and dad took ex-Elder Holbrook back to Raleigh to fly home. Poor guy was probably bored out of his mind all weekend. Feel bad that he spent money on tickets for nothing.

Marcos called me from his cell phone. Said he was sitting at the Knicks-Bobcats game in Madison Square Garden, second row, mid-court, bench side. Said he was right close to the tunnel where the players come out. Unfortunately, the game wasn't on TV here, so I'll have to watch Sportscenter to see if I can get a glimpse of him.

Christensen Update
None to report.

Daily Report
LAST NIGHT:
Sleep: 11:30 - 7:30 - I finally resisted the temptation to watch 'The Outer Limits" last night...well kinda...I recorded it and watched it this afternoon

TODAY:
Breakfast: None

Lunch: Roast Beef, potatoes, gravy, corn niblits, homemade rolls, strawberry jam, milk. Had some cookies when I got home (with milk, of course).

Dinner: 2 egg tacos on flour tortillas with cheese, apple juice, then had a few more chocolate chip cookies.

0 comments: