Thursday, April 21, 2005

"Rough" Day of "Work"

***Text in this color authored by Shena***

Work & Play
Went to Charlotte for a seminar and CE credit put on by John Hancock. Actually, not Charlotte, but Huntersville, just a bit north of Charlotte. Anything close to Charlotte I call Charlotte because I can't ever remember what all is down there. After the seminar was a golf outing, which is always a plus. They brought in the son of Gary Player, Wayne, who is a pretty good golfer himself and has worked as an instructor before.He played one hole with each group (there were about 9 groups all together). Pointed out one or two things we could work on with our swing, etc. Nice guy. He had a S. African accent, which surprised me for some reason. I guess he grew up down there, but I thought he would have done most of his growing up in the US since his dad played up here. The tip he gave me helped with my drives, but I couldn’t necessarily get it to help with my irons…yet. I think a little practice on the driving range will help.

We played at a course called Birkdale. Nice layout and design, but it was still kind of in rough shape after the winter. They had aerated the greens a couple days earlier, so they were still pretty jumpy and bouncy. Otherwise it was a nice course to play. The weather was nice, too, about 80 and sunny, very slight breeze. Made it pretty comfortable golfing weather. Jim and I played on the same team with one other guy. We were playing captain’s choice (everybody shoots from the same spot, you pick which ball you want to play next, etc.). Since we were only a threesome we had one extra shot that we alternated on. The guy that was with us had to leave after 9 holes, so on the back nine Jim and I had two shots each. We wound up at –2 for the round, which was good enough for 4th or 5th, I’m not sure which. I didn’t stay until all the groups got in. It was a good time anyway.

At the house, the tree guy came out and ground up all of the stumps in the yard. I didn’t get to see any of it. They said he started at 9 and finished about 5, going the entire time, stopping only for gas. I didn’t realize that the stumps would create so many chips, but they did. I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get to see the machine run. I know what stump grinders look like, I’ve just never seen one in action. Maybe another time. As far as the yard goes, it is pretty much done as far as the heavy work goes. They will be bringing in a bobcat in a week or so to grade and even out the ground a bit. After that, we asked them to wait and plant seed in the fall, so we will have all summer to decide where we want to plant trees and flower beds, etc. As soon as the pollen dies down Shena and I will have to spend an afternoon or two out there.

Llano Update (Cheeto's Brood)
Shena said the boys were poops all day today. I find a little comfort in knowing that Ethan (my nephew) is going through the same thing, but I am still frustrated in not being able to get them to mind Shena when I'm gone. Not sure what to do about it.

Arellano Update
After golf, I got home as quick as I could to get to a "party" that was going on at Dad's house for his brithday. Some of my aunts and uncles were there, and of course there was plenty of food. Dad got a ladder and some plants as presents...what he wanted. I got there after everyone else was finished eating, so I ate on my own, which is no big deal.

It's also Melissa's birthday. Happy Birthday, Sister-in-Law. Wish we could have partied with you too, that cake looked good.

Christensen Update
None to report that I know of.

Daily Report
LAST NIGHT:
Sleep: 11:30 - 7:00 - I think I'm about ready to start getting up at 6:30. I'm still not getting to bed as early as I'd like, but I think my body is adjusted to 7:00...I wake up at that time no matter what now. I'll try to start 6:30 on Monday and see how it goes.

TODAY:
Breakfast: McGriddle, Hash Brown, OJ - I was starving for some reason. And I needed something to help keep me awake on the drive down.

Lunch: Turkey sandwich on wheat, lettuce, mustard, Lay's chips, water, chocolate chip cookie - not bad, but not as good as Grandover's box lunches.

Dinner: refried beans and cheese on corn tortillas, coke, piece of orange cake with vanilla frosting and a small glass of milk.

0 comments: