Saturday, April 09, 2005

Of Course...Trees

***Text in this color authored by Shena***

Work & Play
Not much of a surprise right now, I'm sure. The weather was calling for rain until about 9:00, and then party cloudy the rest of the day. I thought I would be able to get started about 9:30 or 10:00. Of course the weather predictions weren't really very close. When I peaked out the blinds at 7:00, the deck was dry (which means it hasn't rained in a while) and there were just a few clouds out. By the time I went outside at 8:00, there was sun, and I don't think we saw a cloud all day. Beautiful weather for working outside. It was a little cool (but not even close to cold) in the morning, and didn't really get uncomfortable about 3:00, when we quit working. Dad, Brad Crockett and I started working about 8:00, Sherman and Logan Williams got there about 9:00, Ed Plummer and Munsey Slack got there about 10:00. Ed and Munsey ran the chipper, while Dad, Sherman and I ran chainsaws (Sherman had his own, a great big sucker, and Dad used Gordon Lundrigans), while Brad and Logan moved logs. We just kind of trucked along, and by noon we had moved across about 1/2 the yard. We ate some pizza, then went back to work. At about 1:30 or so Ed and Munsey had to leave, about 1/2 hour later Sherman and Logan had to go. Just as they were leaving, Craig Hiatt dropped in to help for a bit. He and Brad worked together for another 1/2 hour or so before Brad wore out. Then Dad Craig and I worked for another 1/2 hour before I had had enough. Brad was the really impressive one, though. He spent the entire time he was working moving logs in a wheelbarrow. About 20 minutes of that and I couldn't handle it anymore. He did it for 6 hours. Obviously in much better shape than any of the rest of us. I really can't begin to say how grateful I am that all those guys showed up to help. If it was just me, or just me and dad it would take us several weeks to get it done. Right now I think we will go ahead and rent one of those big chippers for just one day next Saturday, and get as much of the branches through it. Whatever is left we will run through my little chipper (which actually did quite a bit with two guys running it for 4 hours). I will work some during the week to finish cutting up the few remaining branches there are, but that is about all there is as far as cutting goes. I still can't believe we got as much done as we did. I don't think the pictures tell the story. If you think I'm exaggerating, ask Shena or my mom. They will tell you just how many trees were on the ground and how impressed they were with the work we got done.

When we finally quit about 3:00, I was absolutely beat. My whole body was aching. I just sat in the addition on our cooler for about 15 minutes trying to let my muscles loosen up some. I took a shower and felt quite a bit better, but still laid down on the floor on my back for a while.

We rented "The Forgotten" to watch tonight. I dont' remember hearing much about it, but Shena had heard a little, and when I read the back of the case I thought it sounded interesting. It was ok. There were one or two parts that I physically jumped, but not because I was on the edge of my seat. I was just startled, and it wasn't the kind of jump that had my heart pumping for a while. I also didn't feel real sad for the lady who lost her son. I don't know why. I should, but I didn't. Not sure if it was the movie, or my mood tonight. Anyway, if you've seen everything else there was to see, you might like this one, otherwise you'd be ok to skip it.

Llano Update (Cheeto's Brood)
I'm not exactly sure what all Shena and the boys did while we were working in the backyard. I know she rand some errands and Cade went over to Dede's for part of the day. I hope that doesn't sound too selfish, but I really don't know. She was here at the house part of the day while Kelson took a nap, and I know that she got water and pizza for us at lunch time. I think she also went to a soccer game with Dede and the boys. She and the boys got home just as I was getting ready to come inside from working.

After I took a shower and relaxed for a while, we decided to take the boys to McDonald's. They actually didn't really deserve to go because they were fighting with each other and ignoring Shena when she told them to come inside and sit on the mats. We waited until they at least calmed down and then tried to make sure they understood that we weren't going to McDonald's because they were good boys. I don't know if it sunk in or not. I doubt it. They were good while we were there, though. We went to the one right here by our house. It was such a nice day, we ate outside and let them play on the playground for a while.

Arellano Update
Dad was here the entire time I was working. Such a good help. I owe him big time (as if I didn't all ready owe him big time for the 30 years before this). Mom also helped by picking up the pizza for us and helping serve the crew when we ate.

Christensen Update
None to report, that I know of. I counted up today, Ryan only has about 3 1/2 months left. I remember that time. You know when you get transferred, it will be your last. Everything starts to become "your last" and you try to relish it a little bit.

Daily Report
LAST NIGHT:
Sleep: 10:45 - 7:00 - I was trying to get to bed early, so I could rest up for today, but didn't get there as early as I wanted.

TODAY:
Breakfast: 1 bowl of frosted flakes - had to have some breakfast before I went out to work and sweat

Lunch: Domino's - two pieces - one cheese, one pineapple and ham, water...lots of water

Dinner: McDonald's - Big mac (with onions, on accident), fries, orange drink - also had a chocolate milkshake to go.

1 comments:

Adam Arellano said...

you just admitted that you have been alive for 30 years, don;t think I have ever heard you do that before. Ha.