Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What to do..

I'm not sure this is really venting. I believe I may be like my brother-in-law that I just need to write it out so I can feel better. Many may know that Cade has really struggled with 3rd grade. Well, he has just struggled with school for awhile, especially in math. I believe he got lost in his early years at the Spanish immersion school and didn't get the basics down before he got thrown into the harder stuff. This year has been especially hard on both of us. I fight with him every night with homework. Sometimes we are doing homework for more than 3 hours. His science and reading are fine it's mostly just math. We have met with his teacher a number of times to come up with ways to help him. Thankfully he has a great teacher that sincerely wants to help us. Well, yesterday he brought home a note from his teacher and principle stating that Cade isn't progressing enough to move onto the 4th grade. My heart just sank! I lost it, I just had to cry! It all came tumbling down behind closed doors. I knew that if Cheeto saw that I was that upset about it he would think I was crazy and say it's not the end of the world. But the hours I have sat working with him and he still may have to held back. I know a little embarrassment now is better than playing a game of catch up for the rest of his life. I'm embarrassed to because I feel like this reflects what I am as a mother. I feel like I failed him! I failed! I also know that he has to actually do the work and if doesn't understand it he doesn't understand it. Why is it that i couldn't help him? Why doesn't he want to work harder? Cheeto and I aren't lazy people. We both work hard and try to distill that in our children, especially in todays society where everyone wants everything just handed to them. It's just not enough! What I do is not enough! I failed! I say I because Cheeto is at work and isn't usually the one doing the homework routine. I hate the fighting with him every afternoon. I hate that homework takes so long that he has no time to just be a kid and play. It breaks my heart that Kelson just breezes through his and Cade is left working for hours. It's not all laziness. He has this blank look and honestly, just doesn't "get it." We are at a loss and finally we are to the point where we may have to accept that he will repeat the 3rd grade. He doesn't know any of this yet. He is going to fight us on this one for sure. Another fight...great! We are going to meet with his teacher again this week. I pray there is still hope.

3 comments:

Its All Good Ya'll said...

Oh Shena.... I am sorry. I did not know Cade was struggling so bad. I'll bet it is not so much laziness as dread, he is frustrated, he knows he doesn't get it and he dreads having to work on it. Just a suggestion... if you think that his struggles may result from a weak foundation why don't you start over? Go to Walmart or Target and get their workbooks starting with kindergarton and let him start from the beginning. They have tear out worksheets that are colorful and look fun to do. Maybe if he spent some time reveiwing he could be ready for next year.
However, if he does end up repeating the 3rd grade it is not the end of the world. It is better that he get a grasp on it now than struggle his whole life! And anyone who points their finger in your direction obviously does not know you or your commitment to motherhood. Each child of god is given their own struggles in life that is not your fault! I know you will be able to help him work through this and find the posotive in this challenge.
Let me know it there is anything I can do! Good luck!

Lacey said...

First off, you didn't fail. I had kids in my classroom that were in similar situations. The parents worked as hard as they could and I worked as hard as I could but things just were not clicking. So, don't feel like this is your fault. I am going to think about some ways to maybe help him and I will get back to you. When I was teaching second grade I had half my class that had learning disabilities so I had to get really creative. We need to figure out what kind of a learner he is and then play on that strength. I am more than happy to put my thinking cap on if you would like me to try and help. Just send me an email and let me know.

Leesa Ann Bogart-Lundrigan said...

Shena, don't give up and it is not the end of the world for Cade. Elementary years is the time to develop and learn and find the way you learn....I had a teacher tell me that once one of my children were struggling. These grades do not matter in the long run....remember that!!! He will blossom when he is ready to...some of mine did not blossom until 5-7 grade....take the pressure off of him for now. Talk to his teacher and take a different approach such as NO HOMEWORK....work on getting his desire to learn healthy and perhaps homework is squashing that desire right now. The teacher should want to try this approach...heck, the school year is almost over. AND.....do not let the teacher's scare you on if he is ready for the next year or not. You can get fun computer games that he may really like that secretly teach didn't things....perhaps he learns that way. SO....DO NOT REPEAT! That is a big mistake and there is so much research out there that proves it! Don't worry about him and his grades until he hits 10th grade. He will be just fine and YOU ARE a wonderful mother. This only comes from experience with 5 out of 7 kids in school and many talks with teachers and a son with ADD and having retained a child and fighting to get him moved back up....etc!