Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Millis Health Education Center

Kelson had a field trip yesterday. Analise spent the morning with Damma and Dampa. I had to take Addelyn with me. She was a great baby. I put her in the baby sling and she just hung out. Kelson was a proud big brother. I was curious to see what this field trip was going to be like. I had never heard of this place and what I saw online didn't tell me much. I decided to stop by the school to see if other parents might want to carpool down there. One parent did. She sounded like she had a Spanish accent so I asked her where she was from. She said she grew up in Mexico and then moved to California for high school. I asked her what part of Mexico. She said Jalisco. That is where Cheeto's dad is from- small world. Well, the world got smaller. She was shocked that my kids had a full on mexican grandfather. It obviously doesn't show they have some mexican blood in them. She asked what brought them to North Carolina. I told her about the restaurants. She told me she knew one of the owners. Long story short she went to church with Dad's cousin that lives behind them. It was funny. She also asked me if it bothered me to have a multi-raced marriage. HECK NO! If it did, do you think I still would have married into one. Race does not make a person- your actions do! My father-in-law is one of the most honest, loving man I know! If it weren't for him, I probably wouldn't have lasted so far away from my family for the past 9 years. She was almost shocked at my answer. She then asked what church we went to. This conversation lasted almost the entire trip home. She was very curious about our standards and how we raise our children. Who knows... maybe this was a good missionary moment. I hope I said the right things. I believe I set a good example of a good church member but I never feel like I'm a good missionary. That's where I needed Cheeto or Nola with me!

You might have to enlarge this to see it. It was dark but this model was pretty cool. Her name was TAM. Different parts of her body would light up when she talked about it. It took the children through how the digestive system worked, the muscular and nervous systems as well. They all laughed and ewed when it talked about how everyone has to get rid of the food they eat. I tried to say that as clean as possible.

This heart was in the middle of the room and made a heart beat sound the entire time. It was a low pounding hum. It put Addelyn to sleep. :)Kelson and his friend

This bike was awesome. When you pedaled the bike the skeleton behind the glass would pedal with you. This showed the kids how your bones move.
This girl was hilarious! She had such a great way to interact with kids. This was a room to teach the kids about their teeth. It was called the Tough Tooth room. Different parts of the room lit up as she talked about cavities and proper ways to brush. Part of that BIG tooth you see on the right came out. It was all dark and nasty- to represent a cavity. She then replaced the lid with a silver one to represent the "filling". Very cool!

This is Mr. Big Mouth. The kids were able to see what their teeth look like under the gums. She showed them that below their baby teeth they have only one set of adult teeth so you only have one chance to take care of them. Kelson leaned over and said, "Except for me mom! I have extra teeth!" His teacher was sitting next to me and we both looked at each other and laughed. Yep- Kelson did have extra teeth.

After it was over, I was so pleased. What a neat place to teach kids about their bodies and how it all works! I wish they had something like this in the children museums. Kelson and I had so much fun!


1 comments:

La Familia Rigby said...

AWESOME! I wished we had something like that. Leya loves learning about her body. She is always full of questions. She is getting into the Magic School Bus the ones about the body. What a cool place to show a hands on learning about the amazing body.