Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Count your many blessings


Warning... another sad story! Monday afternoon I received an email from a prospective client. However, this didn't turn out to the usual scheduling of appointments. This lady started off my stating that I may not be up to helping her. They had their 20 week ultrasound check last Friday. Sadly this ultrasound was devestating news. Their little girl has a rare case of dwarfism. They do not expect her to live more than a couple hours after delivery because her body will not be big enough to allow her lungs to expand and function properly. They have struggled with multiple miscarriages so this may be their only child they will ever get to hold. She gave me the option to back out. But how could I? She told me a number of times that me doing this for them would mean the world to them. She wants me to meet them at the hospital after the delivery and cast her hand and foot. WOW! This is really why I do this! I love that I can give these parents something to "hold" onto for forever!
Of course, as I am talking to this lady Addelyn chooses to start crying. I felt awful. Here I am with a healthy, happy baby girl in my arms. Again, I find myself counting my blessings. We may have our own struggles but they are nothing like what I have seen so many other couples having to deal with right now. Thank you for the all the little blessings in my life!

2 comments:

Its All Good Ya'll said...

A couple weeks ago there was an Extreme Makeover Home Edition about this woman who took photographs of the NICU babies with their parents. There were alot of them that didn't live very long and she wanted them to have something to remember them by. What a neat gift you are giving that sweet mother. I know you will be blessed for your efforts in their behalf.

Rebecca said...

We lost a 3 month old to SIDS in 2007. Please tell her about nilmdts.org. Please tell her!