Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Enrichment Night

Work has been flying by the last week or so. We have a new girl, Heather Triplett, who started working with us. She is taking my place as the "Service Manager" so that I can focus on the sales side. My official title at this point is "Sales Assistant." I will spend part of my time working with Jim, getting him in front of more of his clients, and will try to have him better prepared when he meets with them. I will spend the rest of the time trying to develop my own client base...both working with people I already know, and also working Jim's client's kids and maybe some of the database that he hasn't solicited in a while. Should be a good situation. It will be several weeks before I can spend much time on the sales side, since I have to do the training. Heather is a sharp girl, but she doesn't have any background in finance and so there will be a bit of a learning curve there. Good thing is she is just out of college, so she knows how to study and take notes.

Teresa Slack came home with me for lunch today. We work in the same office and Shena and I have come to be friends with her and her husband, Munsey. Teresa and Shena will go out every now and then, and they will also get together every couple of weeks to knit together. She came home for lunch today because she had some dresses for Shena to look at that she might use for our formal dinner next week, and Shena wanted to show her some that she already had and get a "girl's opinion." I am grateful to Teresa for that. Shena kept grilling me on the dresses and whether they were dressy enough. I honestly have no idea what a "formal" dress should look like. I'm just proud that I know that a guy should wear a tuxedo to a formal, let alone know what a girl's outfit should be.

Shena had her first night in charge of Relief Society enrichment meeting. She said it went well. About 30 people attended, which she said is good for a "non-dinner" night. Usually only get that many when they are serving food. Scott Card taught a class about keeping a journal that Shena said was really good. She also said he brought a new journal for everybody in the class. Very generous of him. He's a good guy like that. Shena said the class was interesting and he had good ideas.

The boys were pretty good for me while I watched them. Cade was especially good and only gave me a hard time just before Shena got home at 9. He didn't want to pick up his Leap Frog like I wanted him to. Minor issue, really. Kelson didn't take a nap again today, so by 8:00 he was pretty punchy. He kept giggle at what seemed like nothing at all. Then when I layed him down, he cried for 20 minutes...unusual considering he was so tired. I went and got him (Cade was worried about him...he kept saying "Dad, Kelson wants you. He's sad. He wants to get up.") Apparently, all he wanted was a drink of juice, because he asked for one ("joooshhe") and when I told him he had to go to bed now that he had one he said "Uh-huh," and I didn't hear from him again.

The boys and I read for the second night in a row. Cade was good, sat and listened while Kelson jumped around on his bed and threw things off of it...like I said, he was a little punchy.

Remember my comments two days ago about Marty Schottenheimer's bad play calling in over-time during the Chargers vs. Jets game? I must be smarter than I thought, because Gregg Easterbrook (great column), who is "a senior editor of The New Republic, a contributing editor of The Atlantic Monthly and a visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution" had the same thoughts I did...see "Worst Tactics Ere The Clock Struck Midnight" not quite 1/2 way through the column.

Weather: 62 degrees, mostly sunny

Breakfast: Strawberry Pop-tarts (2) - cold

Lunch: Salad, carrot sticks, Shena's gringa enchiladas with sour cream on top, piece of chocolate cake, milk

Dinner: Wendy's classic double with cheese (no tom, no onion) - a few fries from Kelson's kids meal (he had nuggets) - Mom & Dad fed Cade at Mexico #1 with the missionaries, so I didn't have to worry about him

Sleep: 5 hours (11:30 to 4:30) - horrible night...woke up at 4:30 needing to use the rest-room (a little) and my back hurting (a lot)...couldn't get back to sleep. At least I got caught up on my "ESPN NFL Live" shows that I had been recording but had no time to watch. Felt like I was drugged all day...you know, slow reactions, a little light headed, forgetting simple things. It's sad that I get sleep deprivation after just one night of 5 hour sleep, but that is the way my body works for some reason.

0 comments: