Thursday, May 07, 2009

C's Greensboro Historical Museum Field Trip



I'm so blessed to have the ability to go on my kids field trips. Dad just got home from Mexico and was more than willing to watch the girls for the morning. This trip was to the Greensboro Historical Museum. I admit I didn't think it would be all the exciting. I was wrong. They have a very neat, kid friendly set up there. I would suggest it to anyone. They had 6 groups. Each group would visit parts of the "town." They had actual rooms set up to look the school house, the courthouse, drug store, theatre, hotel lobby and call room, and the fire house. Each place had a hands on activity. Like I said, very cool! Cade mentioned he really wants to take his Grandma C there when she comes again. My mom loves history- as does Cheetos, but she can go whenever she wants to. :) In the school house, they had the desks like in Little House on the Prairie. You all remember that show right? - or was I the only one that watched old re-runs? C's teacher was too tall to fit comfortably in the desks but of course, i had no problem. There are a couple in C's class that are almost as tall as I am- which is not much. :) The "teacher" asked us to write 2+3=? on the slate. We all did so, but C's teacher wrote 2+3=17. This had them all laughing. I leaned over and jokingly said, "Oh, I understand now why my son is having problems with math!" She laughed, but when I told Cheeto he kind of repremended me. I'm pretty sure she knew I was joking. At the drug store I learned something very cool. Heres the interesting, yet cool piece of history about the 'boro.
There was a man named William Porter than worked for his uncle, Mr. Richardson (can't remember his first name)in his drug store. William Porter was later known as O'Henry. (You see business's today named O'Henry. ie The fancy O'Henry hotel for instance.) His uncle was a pharmacist. His wife didn't like the over the counter medicines so she asked her husband to mix something more specific for her kids colds. He mixed a salve that she really liked. She told her friends and they told their friends and so on. He started a mini factory in a garage to make more of it. Soon it retailed it. He thought Richardson was too long to have printed on the tiny jars so he used his brother-in-laws name, Vick. Later it sold to Proctor and Gamble. Today it's known as VICKS Vapor Rub.
Yep- Vicks was invented here! Never would have thunk it! Anywho... at the drug store they had the kids use a pestal and mortor and grind down sugar cubes. After their work, she gave them plastic nickels as a payment so they could go to the movie next door. C didn't want to give up his money. He wanted to save it. He wanted me to spend my nickel to get him into the movie. Isn't that just how it is in real like? :) We had a great morning! Lots of fun! Thanks mom and dad for watching the girls so I could go!

0 comments: