Monday, May 25, 2009

"AH.. Nature it's all over me!"



Last fall we took a day trip to Hanging Rock. We liked it so much we promised the kids we would take them back to camp. I was 35 weeks pregnant then and didn't want to take them then. We found a 8-man tent at Christmas time for only $48. The kids have been waiting patiently for a nice weekend to break it out. Last weekend was when we planned our trip. Poor dad has been on the go since March 25. Mexico, Utah and now camping. Mom and Dad got home from Utah Tuesday evening and turned around to pack for camping Thursday. It's always more fun to take more family!
We had plenty of time to prepare so I'm not sure why it turned out so unorganized!!! I had a gut feeling to go up Thursday night but really wanted to go to an enrichment class I had signed up for. We got up early Friday, packed and was on the road by 10am. When we got to Hanging Rock, they were packed. Not one camping site! Next time... I'll follow my gut! The ranger called Pilot Mountain and said they had 30 sites left but to hurry because Hanging Rock and Stone Mountain were both full and were sending all their guests that way. We made the 30 minute trip as fast and as safe as we could. Thankfully, we got there and found us a site. It was after 1pm before we got things set up enough to eat some lunch. Mom then found out that we forgot to pack cooking utensils and another dutch oven or pan to cook dinner/breakfast. Cheeto and I headed into Mount Airy to find a Walmart.
Cheeto and Dad took the kids and went adventuring.I hurt my knee a couple of weeks ago and it's still bothering me so I opted not to hike this trip. Mom and I stayed with A2 and started the dutch oven chicken. We got it all out and realized we forgot cooking spray or butter- just something to coat the pans. I had to go to the site next to us scrounging for some butter. I took A2 with me for some extra cuteness. We had it going just fine until Dad got back and placed it right in the fire. Thankfully he smelled it burning and took it off. It wasn't bad but not great either. Oh well, it's camp food! After dinner, Mom realized they forgot their clothing bag with toothbrushes and everything in it. :( that's the fourth thing we forgot but still not the last. The next morning we had everything ready to cook and found, rather didn't find, any eggs. Yep- we forgot those too! (SIGH... )It still makes me frustrated that we sucked so bad at packing this time! I hauled Cheeto out of bed and went to Mount Pilot to get some eggs. RIDICULOUS!
We got some of our sites packed up then drove up to the summit to look around. The boys ended up walking back but the girls drove. :) We cooked some hot dogs (amazing that we had all the ingredients for that meal!) finished packing then headed home. The kids were so exhausted. A1 was asleep before we hit the highway. It took K a few more minutes. I turned back to take a picture of all of them when too my surprise C was still awake. He had been so quiet, he was reading. When I went to take his picture, he flipped his book up and posed for me. Funny boy!
We had a great time! Cheeto and I would rather take a vacation with better accommidations but the kids enjoy it so we do it. Perhaps its because I don't mind as much when they are rolling in the dirt. I do give them a "bit" more freedom while camping. :) K and C chased bugs and even lizards! Lots of nature out there in those woods! "AH.. Nature it's all over me!"

0 comments: