Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dia de los Reyes 2009



This is a Mexican tradition in our family. This is the best story I could find to explain it....

On the night, of January 5, the figurines of the Three Wise Men are added to the nativity scene. Before going to bed the children place their old shoes under their bed or in the living room, where the Wise Men will leave them their presents. Some also place outside the house, some hay and a bucket with water for the animals, and even some cookies and milk for Melchor, Gaspar and Baltasar.

You can feel the excitement building up! With twinkling eyes, the children eagerly, and constantly ask what time it is, wishing for time to fly so they could open their presents.

Reluctantly they go off to bed.

As soon as they wake up, which is earlier than any other day, they run to see the gifts that the Three Magi left for them. Happiness overflows every Mexican home.

The children spend the day playing and admiring each others presents, sharing them with friends, talking about how they were able to hear or see the Reyes Magos when they arrived at their home, how one of them heard the camels footsteps, how the other saw a shining crown in the dark night!


Every year I remember all day that we need to take extra shoes to Grandpa A's house and every year I forget once I'm there so we still go home with only one shoe on. This year I thought I would be clever and program a reminder in my phone to help me. Did it work? NOPE! We all got over there and 2 of us came home completely shoeless. I had to stop on the way home and get out of the car so Cheeto was kind enough to leave both of his shoes for me. Kelson had on his school shoes so Cade left both of his play shoes. Analise had extra shoes to wear the next day at home and of course, Addelyn really didn't have a "need" for her shoes!We waited until the boys got home from school to go back to Papa's house. He was so cute and found pictures of all us and put them in each shoe to help us find our "present."

Funny Kid Quote of the Day
Iwas giving the boys haircuts and Kelson requested a "Daddy" cut, which basically means he wants it longer on top. I did as he asked. He was getting ready for church and he asks me,"Mom, would you put Jell-o in my hair for me?" He meant gel, of course! I spiked the front up some with the gel- not jello. At church he asks me, "Mom, is my hair still happy?" He thinks his hair is happy when it's sticking up.


0 comments: