Thursday, October 21, 2010

Lundrigan/Arellano Hanging Rock Camp Out



Cheeto and I usually are experts at getting the impossible packed We felt so unorganized and unprepared. It's not like we decided the day of to go on this trip either. This trip had been on the calendar for weeks. (sigh)
A month or so ago, we were talking with our Lundrigan friends and decided we should try a camping trip together. Neither one of us had ever tried camping with another family. We felt like it was worth a try. We weren't sure how their older kids were mix with our younger ones. Turns out they have fabulous teenagers that enjoy playing with kids of all ages and are more than willing to help with whatever you ask them to do. It was a really cold weekend. Our kids have never camped in weather cooler than 75 degrees. It was nice to actually want to be around a campfire. It was an interestingly cold eventful night. A2 wouldn't hold still, she was like a cat sleeping on our heads, our feet, crawling in our sleeping bags for 10 minutes then to the outside, then our air mattress deflated, making it a really uncomfortable place to sleep, while our kids had nice foam pads to sleep on. Oh well... it was one night. All the other fun made up for it.

Thanks Lundrigans for a fun weekend camping!

Even C wasn't impressed with our packing skills this time.

Sassy either!

and then of course, A2 has the most room in the van. She was happy and comfortable!

Half the canopy had to sit in the front seat between me and Cheeto.
Grrr.... I hate when our packing job doesn't go as planned.

"I don't want to go to bed. I want to see what everyone else is doing."

Cold morning and he is running around without a jacket... crazy kid!

...while our other son is all snuggled up in his own little "tent"

Walking to the Hanging Rock trail

Lundrigans

Arellano's

First break of the hike.
I loved how all the kids young and old played and helped each other.
It was an awesome weekend trip.

It's really nice when older kids aren't too cool to play with little kids.











I look terrible in this picture but it's about the only one I have to document that I was on this trip. :) Oh well, we were camping right? I was grateful to make it to the top and very grateful I made it to the bottom. The day before, Leesa, Cheeto and I ran 5.5 miles on the trails. I have bad knees. I made the run. But about 2 miles in my knees really started to hurt and were REALLY hurting at the end. I could barely walk by Friday night. I really wondered if I would be able to make the hike with the family in the morning. It was a rough couple of hours but I did it and held back the tears pretty well. So frustrating!


We had left some camping gear at a friends house and stopped on our way out of town to pick it up. On a last thought, I asked if she had a backpack carrier for a baby. She said she did and allowed us to borrow it. Man, that was a lifesaver. There was no way A2 was going on that hike with us if we hadn't of had it. Thanks Susan! A2 pretty much slept the entire way.

Gordon taking in the scenery.

Lundrigan's sitting on the edge of Hanging Rock with Dad.

Mom sitting well away from the kids with her back to them saying a prayer.


I love that A2 is peeking inside this picture. What a view from the top!

Hang on girl!


They made it... those kids hiked a steep mountain.
I love Lundrigan #6's face!



A2 was very content digging in the dirt with Lundrigan #7's bucket and shovel.

(Lundrigan #2 and Sassy)
Yay... I'm afraid Sassy is a bit like her mother.
I was always one to choose sitting with the boys rather than the girls. Not sure how I feel about that one now that's it's my little girl. I suppose I turned out all right. ;)

Lundrigan #7 chillin' after the hike with his cup of Doritos Munchies.


.... and A2 still diggin in the dirt.

0 comments: