Thursday, October 21, 2010

Frustration

I took this picture of my new running shoes because I knew after one run on the trails they would never look so pretty again. :) Cheeto got a gift card to Off 'N Running the first part of the summer. He had got him so running gear and such but one day he was in there they were having a shoe sale. He found these Nike running shoes for me. He called me and asked if I could leave the kids with Adam and come try them on. I kept telling him he didn't need to spend his gift card on me. But they were a killer sale. They were over $120 shoes on sale for less than $30. My running shoes were thrashed so I was in need of another pair. After trying them I graciously accepted them. Cheeto has had a running group training with him for his marathon. I knew I wasn't going to be able to keep up with them so I put them in the closet for awhile in hopes one day I would be able to pull them out and use them.
A friend let us borrow her P90X program during the summer. I love it! I have seen some fabulous results and the workouts are so different everyday that I don't get tired of it. I knew I was getting stronger by the day. Well, Cheeto and I have been going through some rough times the past little while. I wanted to spend some more time with him so I thought I should try running again so maybe it could be something we could together. I knew I would never be able to keep up with him, and that would be fine. I knew he would always wait for me to catch up here and there. And then a close friend seems to think she could get me to run a half- marathon with them someday. I invited myself to run with Cheeto on his short and easy run a couple of days before his marathon. We ran Palmetto to Nat Green trails. It was just shy of 3 miles. When we finished I felt so good. I wasn't even winded or tired. And I didn't even get sore then next day. I thought, HEY... maybe I can start running more and that p90x has been GOOD to me. I was in way better shape than I thought! Well, last Friday Leesa and Cheeto got me to run the Piedmont trail. It was a total of 5.5 miles. I felt really good for the first 2.5 miles but my knees started to really hurt on the way back. About mile 4.75 I went through moments of wanting to give up and walk it then to fighting back the tears. I was so proud of myself that I talked myself out of doing both. I finished the 5.5 tearless and ran the whole thing! But I paid dearly that night. We had gone camping and I did cry that night. My knees wouldn't function at all, on both legs. :( But by morning I was feeling almost back to normal.
So Monday night I talked Cheeto into running 3 miles with me. About 1 mile in my knees were screaming at me. I told Cheeto to lead. He of course was gone in a flash. It wasn't half a mile later that I twisted my ankle pretty good and another mile later that I fell and hurt my shoulder and both knees again. GRRRRR... those darn tree roots! I didn't have enough ice packs to ice all my injuries!
So now... here I am looking at my "killer deal" running shoes and wondering will I ever get the chance to break them in. Or will they just simply get dirty collecting dust in my closet? I get so frustrated that my body gives me so many limitations. I know there are others out there with the same frustrations. It's only my knees, my STUPID KNEES! Even after 5.5 miles I wasn't even sore the next day. I so wanted to be able to do this with Cheeto. To fight for something that I never thought I would have in me to complete. To have something that wouldn't cost us much to do together. We met golfing and have that in common but it's so expensive and takes so much more time away from the kids to do. I suppose my time isn't now. Patience is a virtue! I don't feel very virtuous! LOL!

1 comments:

Its All Good Ya'll said...

I feel your pain. My knees limit my abilities greatly. Just a couple tips I am sure you have probably already heard but maybe not. Take it slow and work your way up. Running on earth is very different than running on a treadmill and it can be hard on the knees. If you give your knees a little by little they might be able to endure more eventually. The other thing that is awesome for strengthening knees is water resistance. If you can take a deep water aerobics class it will help strengthen your knees immensely!!! Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself, think of all the many things your amazing body can do!