Saturday, April 26, 2008

Kelson's Birthday

WOW! I'm such a bad blogger lately! I think the biggest reason is because I have moved my computer to another area and it's just not as convenient to sit at anymore. I have found that I only check my email a couple times a day instead of each time I walk by. Which is good and bad.
Kelson's birthday was this week. The anticipation in the child has been unbearable at times. For weeks, he has been waking up and telling me things to add to his birthday list, what his cake is going to look, how many more days, who was going to be at the party, and so on and so on. The morning of his birthday, he woke up running down the hall yelling, "IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!" Halleluha it was finally his birthday is what I thought. It was about 5 minutes later he announced he was going to have his party outside. It was going to be a really nice day so the idea was great. The only problem was the grass was up to our knees. It had to mowed. Cheeto was busy at work all day, so I would have to add that to the list of things to get done. Kelson wanted to share cupcakes with the kids at the mommy's morning in the park. I was making cupcakes at 6am. I sent Cheeto to the store to finish the grocery shopping for dinner so that would be one less thing on my list. I decided to mow with it a bit wet so the pollen wouldn't bother me so much and a bit early so it wouldn't be so hot. It was a task in and of itself. It took forever but I finished with just 30 minutes to shower and pack lunches for the park. We were about 15 minutes late getting there but he still had time to eat, play and share cupcakes. One little boys was so excited for the cupcakes that while his mom was feeding his baby brother he got one with no one looking and stuffed it in his mouth- paper and all. He ate it with the paper and everything! WOW- he must love cupcakes! :) After the park we made the traditional run to party city to get themed party plates for cake. It's something each of them get to do for their birthday. We only buy cake plates with whatever the theme is that they picked. Kelson has been going back and forth for weeks. It started with Superman. The day before his birthday it was baseball. The morning of his birthday it was Spiderman. At the store it was Transformers. He finally went back to the beginning and went with Superman. Which was good, because that was what I had already started the cake for. I always make their cakes specific to what they want. I have to start the cake the day before to freeze it before decorating. I was glad we went back to Superman. This made it easier on mom! I was baking dinner all afternoon, thinking 8 adults and 3 kids were coming for dinner. It ended up being only 5 adults and 3 kids. We had lots of leftovers. Oh well! After dinner we opened presents. Analise kept saying my presents! "Please Kelson- my presents!" Of course, Kelson wasn't about to share his birthday presents. He got some Star Wars Legos, Cars pj's, Batman mask, books, Spiderman coloring books and water bottle, gift card to Michael's and 1lb hand weights. He was pleased with the mix of super-hero gifts he received. You may be asking yourself- hand weights- really? Well, most people that know me know that I enjoy working out. It's probably my favorite part of the day. I really dislike how I feel when I don't. Well, Kelson loves to workout with me. However, it makes me nervous when he lifts my weights. I'm always afraid he will drop them on his foot or something. So I thought 1 lb weights he would love! Yep- He did! He was unsure about the Michael's gift card. I knew he would like it when he got to go spend it on whatever he wanted to. Last night we had our friends, Kristi and Christopher watch Cade and Analise so Cheeto and I could take Kelson to Michael's shopping. He loved it! He picked out some funky coloring paper that writes in different colors- it's Crayola- it's hard to explain and markers that he can write on windows. I hope they only write on windows! I was mad that I didn't bring my coupon for 40% off. I think I'm going to try to go back today and get a price adjustment and get some of his money back. He could get some more crayons or something. We shall see. All in all, I think he had a great day. He was mad at me yesterday and said, "Mom- I didn't have a happy birthday!" I told him that next year I wouldn't go to as much work and not have a party. He said he was sorry and took back what he said. I must say he did kind of hurt my feelings. I was so exhausted of working all day on his birthday to make his birthday a special one and then he said that. Oh well- he is only 5. He didn't know what he was saying- right?

0 comments: