Monday, December 01, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Day was very low key. We all made something to help with dinner which helps everyone! I made Cheeto's favorite apple pie weeks ago and froze it thinking I wouldn't feel up to doing it whether I was still pregnant or had had the baby. It didn't taste exactly the same but it worked. I was glad I was so smart in doing that! I also made a family favorite- 7up salad. I know no one has ever heard of this one. Cheeto and I really like it. I don't know if the rest of the Arellano's do or not but it is a Christensen holiday staple that I don't like to miss out on.

Cheeto had big plans to play in a Turkey bowl. He looks forward to this every year. He loves his football. I stayed at home praying that he wouldn't break anything! That's all we would need- huh? He came home unhurt except for every muscle in his body aching for the next few days. We made quite the pair. :)

We ate dinner later that afternoon and then made our ornaments. My Grandma Bullock use to have a craft for us to do whenever we went to her house for Thanksgiving. I was only 12 or so when she passed away but that is still one of my favorite memories of her. My mom was of course involved with this craftiness. My mom didn't do it every year but did very often. I started our own tradition about 3 years ago and decided my family and whoever else was around would make Christmas ornaments on Thanksgiving afternoon. It gives us something to do as a family on this day. This year I had wooded thread spools and made them look like Christmas list scrolls. My kids love to paint so they each got to paint their spool. I must say I was please with the finished product! I think it will be fun to see them years down the road and look at what they were interested in and how cute their handwriting was.

Nola made all the girls new Thanksgiving aprons, even our little Sassy got one. I suppose wearing our aprons is another holiday tradition. Thanks mom! It was interesting this year over at her house. Dad left for Mexico Tuesday. We sure missed him. We played some marachi music during dinner in honor of him. :) Mom was suppose to have had new carpet laid on Wednesday- the day before thanksgiving. However, Wednesday morning she got the call saying the carpet was still in Georgia and wouldn't be delivered until the next week sometime. We had already moved EVERYTHING out of her family room. We all sat on the floor and kitchen chairs all weekend. I'm sure it would have bothered dad more than it did the rest of us. It wasn't the most comfortable but it was fine. We still had lost of fun!




0 comments: