Monday, January 04, 2010

Dec. 10, 2009 - C goes to the Biltmore



C's big field trip of the year was a trip to the Biltmore Estates. The cost for just him was close to $60. It was $75 for me to go with him. It was an ALL day trip. And I was about to send him if one of us didn't get to go with him. It was a real stretch financially for us to float this one. Thanks to family and friends for all their support in making this trip for me and C possible. It was a great day. We had no idea how cold it would be. We were only in the house about an hour and the rest of the time we spent outside. Even after the 4 hour drive home, my feet were still cold. C had one grumpy moment about not getting all he wanted in the gift shop but other than that he was quite the example for other kids to look up to. I'm not kidding when I say that 90% of the bus had their own ipods, iphones, little tv's, or Nintendo DS's. I was in shock. C was a bit jealous at first but was very content to read, draw, or use my 4 year old ipod. I was a little bit in shock as well. And the majority of the parents sent $30-50 with their kids to blow in the gift shops. It was ridiculous to see the JUNK these kids were buying. That money was not for meals. We were all required to pack lunches. With all that aside, I got home and realized a lot of things about our son. I was surprised how his classmates would speak to adults, their rude behavior toward one another, and the other trash that would come out of their mouths. We have our moments with C. He's at that age where he just argues to argue. But with all that aside, we have the good kid! I'm so grateful for him and how he behaves. I'm sure a lot of that comes down to that his friends are those that share the same beliefs, that he is very involved in church and scouts, and that he has great supportive family at home. We sure love him and all his hard work. I was taken back by how much he knew about the Biltmore. The history he learned about it before he got there was amazing. What a great memory to have shared with him!

0 comments: