Thursday, April 16, 2009

Spring Break 2009


I don't believe we have ever taken a trip for spring break. I know we went to Idaho a couple of years ago from my brothers wedding but it wasn't even during the official spring break. Cheeto usually didn't have the days to get off work to go anywhere. Well, this year was awesome. Cheeto's partner has owns a condo at the beach. They offered it to us so we jumped at the opportunity. We assumed it was only one bedroom and thought the kids would have to sleep on the floor. Boy, were we wrong. It turned out that it was bigger than our house. C wasn't in the condo for an hour before he said he wanted to live there. It had a balcony that overlooked the intracoastal waterway and a big bridge.



The kids had a great time eating all but Sunday dinner out there. It made clean up much easier for me. Saturday we ran a few errands in the morning and then spent the afternoon on the beach. It was really windy. The water was freezing. At least it was to Cheeto and I. The kids could have cared less They were up to they necks in the water. We dug in the sand a bit and then called it a day. We decorated eggs for Sunday dinner that night. K was concerned that Da'ma wouldn't have anyone to decorate her eggs. I think he thought that you can't eat just white boiled eggs on Easter. :)



After decorating eggs, I realized I hadn't finished knitting A2's Easter dress yet. I didn't think I had that much left but the little stinker was much longer than I had thought. I stayed up until midnight knitting like a mad woman to get it done. If I were smart, I would have packed a "backup" dress in case I didn't have the time to finish. But since I wasn't smart, I HAD to finish it. Anyone that knows me knows that I couldn't just let it go. It turned out cute. I couldn't have added some to the bottom but didn't have time. Thanks to my sister for helping me with the pattern.



One of errands Saturday was to find the meeting house to go to church on Sunday. When we found it we really thought it was the bishop's store house. Nope. It was a garage turned into a meeting house. The kids called it the funny blue church. There were less than 50 people there. We sat down and the guy behind us handed C 2 pirated dvd's that he burned. C gave them to me. When we got home I told the boys that we had to throw them away. They were both movies that were released within the last month so the boys were excited. But they were good sports to understand why we couldn't keep them. I started cooking dinner and then went down for quiet time. This was the first Easter we have had with just our family. It was quiet. We went for a Sunday afternoon walk around the condo property. It was a great day!



Monday was raining and in the mid-60's. We rode a ferry to Fort Fisher. This got the kids all excited and rambunctious. We had to get them back in the car to keep them from running around the boat. They enjoyed watching the GPS icon showing us floating on the water and saying, "please drive to highlighted route." Fort Fisher was interesting. It's hard to really read and enjoy it when you have a 3 year old pulling you to the next exhibit after only 5 seconds of looking. C really looked and read a lot. He was getting some scouting passed of by going. We drove around the island for a bit and then headed back. It had started raining and wasn't any fun site seeing. We spent the rest of the day inside playing the Wii. We did have an "Spring" egg hunt. I decided to start doing a Spring day instead of the traditional Easter egg hunt with Easter. It's my effort to make a more Christ centered Easter. We had debated on whether to explain the Easter bunny but it never did come up that he didn't come so maybe that discussion will come next year.
Kelson went to the beach feeling crappy. By Saturday I had the really bad sore throat, headache, body aches on top of allergies. I was up most of the nights while we were there. I suppose it wasn't bad, A2 was up anyway!


Funny Kid Quote of the Day
The first night we were at the beach, A1 was having a hard time falling asleep. I went in multiple times to get her to sit still, be quiet and shut her eyes. I said, "I'm going to make you sleep.....????? (the first thing that came to mind was a closet) in the closet." She cocked her head to the side and said her cute sassy voice, "A shoooe closet? Why mommy?" I didn't even make it out of the room before I busted out laughing.

Tonight K was being rude to Sassy. He was picking things up and didn't want her to help, nor look at him. She brought me a book so we started reading instead. It wasn't 2 seconds before K wanted to look and listen to the story too. I decided to teach him a lesson and said, "K, I don't want you to look at the book." He walked off slow and then started to cry once he hit the hallway. Once he came back I asked him if I had heard his feelings. He said, "No, it feels like my heart is broken." :( I apologized. He then said, "My heart feels better now." It sure doesn't take much to break his heart.

1 comments:

Jill W said...

We went on that ferry ride last time we were in NC! I was pregnant with Lilybeth and Lucy was almost 17 months. We were there for Thanksgiving. Aren't those seagulls crazy?! Lucy loved watch us toss bread to the while she snacked on a slice herself.