Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Quantico, VA

SPRING BREAK DAY 5


On day 5 of our trip we made the 2 hour drive north to Quantico,VA. Adam was graduating from officer something or other. I don't know the technical terms. :( But Wednesday was "Warrior Day", other words, bring your family and show them around. It turned out to be a VERY COLD, WINDY day. Cheeto hung his jacket on the door of the condo and "assumed" someone would see it and bring it. Nope... I saw it when we got back. Needless to say, he was chilly most of the day. The boys were super excited and wore themselves out looking at all of the guns, tanks, helicopters, obstacle course, and exhausting Tio Adam with lots of questions. I have to admit it was pretty darn cool when the 3 choppers landed. I love the sound of helicopters, especially really big ones. They allowed everyone to go inside each one. The kids were pushing buttons and leaving no stone unturned.


After lunch we boarded a bus and headed to the shooting range. When Adam asked us if we were interested in shooting some M16's, Cheeto and my dad jumped at the opportunity. About a week later, he talked me into it. I have to admit I was nervous. I AM NOT a huge fan of guns. When I was finished shooting my 10 rounds, my entire body was shaking. No future for me in any field that requires me to shoot guns. :) Nola's was hilarious. The helmet wasn't big enough so she couldn't buckle it on. Everytime she pulled the trigger her helmet would jolt, after about 3 rounds it fell off. The marine that was assisting her picked it up, put it back on, and then just held it on with his hand for the remaining 7 rounds. FUNNY! Sassy did not enjoy all the noise, even with her earplugs. They pretty much lined up 100's of family guests and we all took turns shooting. There was a lot going on. The boys thought it was awesome! After we got off the bus we went to the "on base" store. It was an interesting mix of everything. Mom's leg is still broken and she was tired from walking on it so we got her a wheelchair. Sassy said she was just as tired and climbed aboard. Those kids walked a lot that day. We really did have a fun day. THANKS ADAM!
We had an interesting ride home. For the first 60 miles we followed an idiot teenage driver that. He would speed up, pass a bunch of cars, then slam on his breaks in front of you. He was following (or was suppose to be following) another car. About 40 miles into our trip, we decided to call the "How's my driving" number on the back of his car. That was kind of fun- it was like tattling. :) About an hour later we had to stop for gas. We pulled into the gas station parking lot, and this car looked like she was pulling out and in a BIG hurry. Cheeto paused to let her pass, nope she took the last available gas pump. The one Cheeto was signaling to pull into. He, being Cheeto, had to roll down his window and say, "What the? I was here first." Her reply (with much attitude), " Nope, We got here at the same time." Her plates were from New York so Cheeto's comeback was, "Oh, go back to New York." She said, "I AM FROM HERE!!!!!!" Cheeto, "Whatever." So we drove around and got another pump and thought we were finished. I, of course, was telling Cheeto to back down and forget it. Well, my parents take the kids into the bathroom and I start to changed A2's diaper in the car. This lady and her attitude gets in Cheeto's face and says, "Say what you really meant. What you really meant was GO BACK TO AFRICA- right?" Oh did I forget to mention she was black. OH GEEZ.... come on. Then she said, "You are an embarrassment to you kids!" I finally said, "Everyone grow up and forget it. Go back to your car and forget it." She went inside to pay after this. There was a good southern man pumping gas next to Cheeto. He asked what that lady's problem was. Cheeto explained what happened. The guy said, "I was born and raised in these parts and I'm telling you, she is not how we act like here in Virginia!" Funny guy! I had to use the bathroom too so I had to walk past her. As I got in there, she was with her 2 DAUGHTERS!!! And she thought Cheeto was an embarrassment to his kids? WOW... some people this a days!!!! Cheeto may be a lot of things.... BUT RACIST IS NOT ONE OF THEM!!!!!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Looks like fun with the fam! We miss you guys.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.