Thursday, April 22, 2010

Piedmont Environmental Center

C had a field trip to the Piedmont Environmental Center. Cheeto prepared C by telling him not to believe ANYTHING they tell us. Sometimes I wonder about him- Cheeto; not C! Anywho... it turned out to simply be a North Carolina Social Studies/History field trip. We learned about North Carolina's state symbols, crops, weather, ya well... you get it... the environment. Hence, Piedmont ENVIRONMENTAL Center. :) We started with a nature walk on some trails. The students were asked to really use their senses on this walk so they could write a paper when they got back to school.
One child found this huge nest of caterpillars. C wanted me to get a close up picture to show his brother and sister. I noticed that all of the leaves had caterpillars hanging from them. So as I'm creeping under this tree getting a close up of the nest, a fly lands on my hand and makes me JUMP! The teacher and the kids in my group thought it was hilarious! Of course, it just gave me the heeby jeebies! How do you even spell that?

After the nature walk, we ate our lunches on the deck of the center. It was such a great day outside. The pollen cooperated for me very nicely that day!
(can you see the city labels? Here is the piedmont triad.)

We then went to this huge, cement painted map of North Carolina. And because it rained the night before there was even water in it for the ocean. :) They divided the kids up to learn in depth about the 4 regions of North Carolina. I actually really enjoyed this part. I have lived here for almost 11 years and know little about North Carolina's leading crops, state symbols and such.

They gave each group a bin full of symbols to lay out across the regions. What a learn experience for those kids. Cheeto, are you saying all of that is a bunch of lies? :)
They showed the kids a turtle shell that had the skeleton of a turtle inside. It was pretty cool.

I really enjoy going on field trips with the boys. Thank you mom for always watching the girls and for Cheeto who works like crazy to allow me the opportunity to stay home with the kids! I am very blessed!

1 comments:

Cyndie said...

That picture of the caterpillars is giving me hives.