Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day 2008

As much as I wanted to make this past weekend all about spoiling Cheeto, it just didn't turn out that way. I did try to pamper him when I saw him. It is still really crazy around here with Cheeto upfitting his new office and trying to get back into the swing of studying for exams. The plan for Saturday was to hit the gym at 9 and come back and hangout with Cheeto. However, Cheeto ended up having to be at the office from 8am until 2ish. Friday night Cheeto and I went out on a date to look for office supplies and furniture. I know it sounds lame and boring but I thought it was great just to be with Cheeto. It's been a long time since just of the two of us have been out. It was fun helping him however I could. It was as we pulled into the yard and I saw the car lights across our lawn when I knew my Saturday morning would more wisely be spent doing yard work. I finally got out of Cheeto what he wanted for his Father's Day dinner. My mom's spaghetti casserole (which I will post after), parmassan cheese bread, salad (I threw that one in the menu- we all know Cheeto is not a big salad eater! :) ) and Strawberry Brownie Torte (also, recipe below). I had most of the ingredients- the strawberries we were going to get from Rudd's Farm again- just like Mother's Day. :) 8am- Saturday morning we were out in the fields picking berries. The kids really enjoy doing this. I was glad they still had some and we could go again because last time I forgot to bring my camera. I remembered this time. As soon as we got home, I busted my butt to get the yard done. The weed eater would not cooperate and it took me an extra hour- that I didn't have of course!- to fix the dang thing. Farm girl skills came in handy I must say. Well- farm girl slash girl raised working on a golf course maintenance. I got it working and successfully finished the entire yard. It looked pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Poor Cheeto hasn't had the time to do it once this year. It's a good thing his wife doesn't mind doing it! ;) It's not like Cheeto is dying to do it either! He hates mowing and it doesn't bother me so it's fine. After I got lunch for kids and took a shower we had a "LITTLE" bit of quiet time before heading to the ward party. They were playing wiffle ball and having a cook out at the church. My boys- all "3" of them were excited for this. We had a great time. We were all exhausted and went to bed early. Sunday morning was crazy. I bit a little more off than I could chew. I started the brownie torte and then decided to make Cheeto homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and started the spaghetti casserole so there would be less to do after church. It was crazy getting all the clothes ironed, kids dressed, hair done and baking all at the same time. We still made it to church with time to spare. Church was church. The speakers in sacrament had some great father's day talks. We came home and ate and gave Cheeto his book the kids and I have been working on. They all made him homemade cards which they were so proud of. Kelson had got my heart punch and punched as many hearts as he could on his card because he said he loved daddy so much and had to punch LOTS of hearts so daddy would know! What a sweetheart! The book we made had some funny pictures in it that they couldn't wait to see Cheeto's face when he saw them. We had fun making it. It wasn't a practical gift- but a memoriable one that in 10 years Cheeto can look back and see remember why he became such a great father. I couldn't ask for a better man. What more could a girl want- a man that loves his wife, loves his kids, works hard for all them, loves to play and be silly with them, honors his priesthood and church callings, and most of all worthy of making us an eternal family!




Spaghetti Casserole

Brown hamburger- we like less so I do just less than a pound.
drain and rinse.
1 onion and 1 green pepper- cook with hamburger
add 1 large and 1 small can of stewed Italian tomatoes (with garlic, oregano, and basil)
fill both the large and small can with water and add to pot
add spaghetti noodles- just eye ball it. I use 2/3 of a medium box. I don't measure spaghetti noodles well. :)
Bring to a boil and simmer until noodles are cooked.

Strawberry Brownie Torte

1 box Fudge Brownie mix- Cheeto likes the double fudge Betty Crocker kind
1 egg
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
Spray two round cake pans and divide batter. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes and then watch them until completely cooked through. Cool and freeze.

Filling:
1 8oz cream cheese
1 sm box vanilla pudding
1 1/2 cup milk

beat cream cheese and add milk. Add the milk SLOWLY!!!! This is very important. It will clump and be lumpy if you add it too fast. Add the box of pudding and mixed well. Cool in fridge at least 5 minutes before spreading.

Layer: Brownie, filling, sliced strawberries, Brownie, filling sliced strawberries. Of course I like it to look pretty so I arrange the strawberries in a circle pattern and place one full strawberry in the middle. This is super good! It never lasts 24 hours at my house!

1 comments:

melissa said...

I'm jealous about the strawberries I wish I could pick some here