Tuesday, November 02, 2010

questioning my job....


So we were out with some friends on Saturday night and had a mini discussion that has really got me thinking. I have been working/helping a friend that is a photographer. Since Cheeto has been without a job I have been working weddings, shooting preschools, engagement and romantic shoots with her. I have also been gone processing and proofing pictures. I feel like I have been gone a lot and I have really missed the kids. Cheeto has been fabulous wearing the "mommy" shoes. This discussion got started because even though Cheeto has been doing a great job there were things around the house that I would have normally gotten done but he didn't, little things- nothing major. Our friend feels like being a stay-home-mom is a cushy job in some ways. But if you ask any stay-at-home mom they would definitely beg to differ! Then the question he asked that has REALLY got me thing was this.... How would you feel or do things differently if you knew that you would be getting reviewed on your workday? Where should I even start? Would I speak to my kids differently knowing I would be reviewed on my behavior? Would I make sure the house was always REALLY clean? Would I leave the bed unmade? Would I clean first or interact with the kids first? Would I make sure there was always a well-balanced cooked meal every evening? Would I make their lunches with a little less attitude? Would I leave the laundry unfolded for a week sitting in baskets in my bedroom? Would I test the babies diaper to see how much it could really hold? :) Would I do my girl's hair EVERY day instead of trying to do it a specific way so i could get 2 days out it? Would I not give up and call it a day as soon as the kids are in bed? Would I put the endless movies on for the kids just so I could craft without being bothered? Would I still make my workout time MY time, asking the kids to really leave me a alone for that one hour a day? Is it ok to ignore them for that long?
I'm not sure what is right or wrong. Is it too much to ask for a sample of the review sheet to see what types of things are acceptable or not? Or ask who would be doing the review? I am proud to admit I'm a stay-at-home mom. I do know one thing for sure, that unlike the workplace, there is no instruction give or someone to guide you. There are no set hours. We are on the job 24/7. No paid vacation, no holiday! Even on vacation we really aren't on vacation. No pay raises. Not much thanks either. Not many other adults to interact with. Never do get to feel quite like your own self. Always having to wear clothes knowing that someone is going to wipe their nose, sticky hands, and spill something all over you. However, the benefits are superb! Well, most days. :) I wouldn't trade Cheeto places for anything! I love my family! I know there is A LOT of room for improvement. I felt like I accomplished a lot today even if the house and kids don't show it. I really had that question stirring in my mind and I think it has really changed the way I look at what I do day in and day out.

4 comments:

Carolina Chocolate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carolina Chocolate said...

Wow...very thought provoking. Thanks. Hmmm...Moms...we're always thinking.

Lyndzi said...

"The greatest work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home."
I know if I had to account...wait, I do. To my kids. :)

Jill W said...

Shena, you made me laugh about your comment of doing your girls' hair a certain way to try to get 2 days out of it. My girls really dislike having their hair done, so they'd appreciate it if you'd teach me the certain style so they can just have it done every other day. :-) Not that I do their hair every day, anyway!